The biggest environmental enemy to a solid-wood acoustic guitar is low relative humidity. If the wood in your guitar dries out, you’re going to have problems. The good news is, the problems can be alleviated, and often remedied by using a best guitar humidifier. And, if you use a guitar humidifier during dry seasons, your guitar will stay properly humidified.
Do you need a humidifier for your guitar? You may need a guitar humidifier if…
- You have an acoustic guitar made of solid wood. Laminate-top guitars do not require humidifiers.
- You live in a dry, desert area.
- You have cold winters and heat your home with dry-air heating.
You’ll Need a Guitar Humidifier if Your Guitar Has These Symptoms
How can you tell if your guitar may be dried out? It will have any of the following symptoms:
- The fingerboard shrinks, causing the sharp ends of the frets to extend beyond the edge of the neck.
- The arch in the top sinks and so does the bridge.
- The neck bows forward, requiring a truss rod adjustment.
- There’s a hump around the 14th fret.
- Strings buzz at high notes
If your guitar shows any of these symptoms, get a sound-hole humidifier into your guitar and put your guitar back in its case. It may take a few days but the symptoms will likely go away.
Click here to find the best beginner guitar
Popular Types of Best Guitar Humidifier
Dampit Guitar Humidifier Super
The Dampit guitar humidifier provides long-term humidity protection for acoustic guitars. Used properly, Dampit will keep your guitar properly humidified. This will keep it from cracking and warping due to a dried out guitar.
- Super size guitar humidifier
- Plastic sound hole cover included
- Humidity check “meter” included
Planet Waves GH Stringed Instrument Care
Planet Waves’ acoustic guitar humidifier keeps your guitars from drying out, even in the driest conditions. The moisture reservoir is suspended inside the body. The system releases moisture evenly and slowly without touching the instrument. A high absorption sponge maintains proper humidity levels and is quick and easy to refill.
- Protects your guitar from drying out without damaging the finish.
- Suspended by the strings, never touches the guitar body.
- No clips or fasteners which can scratch the guitar finish.
- Exclusive non-drip design releases moisture evenly and slowly.
Arion In-Case Guitar Humidifier
The Arion In-Case Humidifier maintains a proper humidity level in your guitar case. You do not need to put the Arion Humidifier in your instrument, it works in the case.
The Arion guitar humidifier uses proprietary solution combined with hydrogels. The solution is enclosed in a case made with a special plastic that allows moisture to escape through its walls in regular, consistent manner. The Arion Humidifier will not leak and only requires plain tap water every one to three months. It’s designed to last for years.
- Uses hydrogels
- Works with tap water
- Leak proof
Oasis OH-1 Original Guitar Humidifier
The Blue Oasis Guitar Humidifier is made from a specially designed fabric that allows water vapor (but not water) to pass through it. As water evaporates, the Oasis shrinks to compensate for the loss of water. By monitoring the shrinkage, you will know when it’s time to refill.
Refilling is easy. Unscrew the cap, fill with tap water to the top of the container and replace the cap. The watertight container combined with the super absorbent polymer crystals inside the Oasis Humidifier make the OH-1 leak proof.
Oasis fits between the guitar strings. The materials that touch your strings are soft and will not scratch your strings. A polyurethane stabilizing bar fits over the neck of the guitar humidifier. Once positioned in the sound hole, the bar ensures even weight distribution. Oasis never touches the body of your guitar.
The Oasis provides humidification for 7-10 days before needing a refill.
- You can see when Oasis is ready for refill.
- Long lasting humidification.
- Won’t leak due to overfilling.
- Two levels of leak protection.
- Stabilized to never touch the fguitar’s body.
Planet Waves Humidity and Temperature Sensor
Ever wonder if your guitar needs a humidifier? Wonder no longer. The Planet Waves Humidity and Temperature Sensor (HTS) provides the information you need to maintain proper humidity conditions.
The HTS’s digital display indicates the relative humidity level ranging from low (under 20%) to 99%. The temperature is displayed in Fahrenheit or Centigrade ranging from -32 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. You can program a set point to monitor the minimum acceptable humidity. When humidity goes below the set point, an water drop icon indicates you need to use a humidifier.
- Monitors your guitar’s humidity and temperature status.
- Temperature displays in either Fahrenheit or Centigrade.
- Programmable temperature and humidity set points.
After reading this article, I think you are ready to get a best guitar humidifier that suits you.